Wah industries limited (WIL) is Pakistan’s sole public limited company which is owned by the state and has 100% investment and Management control of Pakistan ordinance factories (POF) which is the largest defense industrial complex under the ministry of defense (MOD).
WIL came into birth on Nov 7th, 1958, as a commercial enterprise under the companies ordinance 1984. It has several production units and division which includes:
- Arms and Ammo Division: It is responsible for selling to LEAs and Civil armed forces. It also exports arms and ammo to friendly countries.
- Civil Production Division: It represents the potential and competence of Wah Brass Mills Pvt. Ltd, Hi-Tech Plastics Pvt. Limited and Packages Factory.
- Project Division: It participates in extravagant and premium tenders and protrudes under Wah Construction Pvt. Limited and Wah Clothing Pvt. Limited. Their primary products include PLCE, Bullet Proof Jackets, wooden pallets, high-rise buildings/towers, and other commercial products and services
- Biotech division: deals with POF Hospital, and Wah Medical College while selling their services and helping with technological advancements. It also sells Oxygen and Hydrogen under the Biotech Division. It is actively pursuing Covid-19 vaccines and cures under the current circumstances in the country
- Wah Security Services unit: It is a project of WIL where it provides security guards and advanced security services to military and civilian customers.
Pakistan Ordinance Factories (POF) is the largest defense complex that projects under MOD. It produces conventional arms and ammo to international standards.
Read More: POF-X: Modern Self-Defense Weapon
It specializes in the production of commercial explosives, and hunting ammo and bears extensive facilities for the manufacture of brass, copper, and aluminum ingots, extrusions, and sections for non-military applications. POF comprises 2 divisions namely, the Defense and Commercial divisions, each of which is further divided into 14 factories/sub-divisions.
Another amazing small arm produced at WIL is Sarsilmaz B6. Sarsilmaz is a private small arms manufacturer in Düzce, Turkey. It was founded during the Ottoman empire in 1880 and is the largest small arms producer for Turkey.
POF started producing Sarsilmaz B6 with perfection in Jan 2014. It is a semi-automatic DA/SA pistol that is packed with 2 mags, 2 cleaning brushes, an oil bottle, and a user manual in the polymer case. This handgun is really lightweight as it is made up of a black polymer frame. It cartridges 9x19mm in 15+1 mag which has a red visual indicator for 5,10 and 15 rounds. Its barrel is a total of 4.5inches long and bears a life of 25000 rounds.
The total weight of this weapon is 800grams. It has 3-dot sights and a forged steel slide on it with a slide top and safety on the left side which can easily be engaged/disengaged by thumb. This weapon is available at POF for around 60~70K depending upon where one buys it.
Ismail Mir is a researcher and small arms expert based in Islamabad. He tweets @cruelassassins